- Model name: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II USM
- Release Date: November 10, 2014
- Focus Type: Autofocus / Manual
- Format : Full Frame
- Mounts: Canon EF
- Color: White
- Availability: December 2014
- Price: $2,199.00
- Purchase options: Amazon | Adorama | B&H
- Compact, high performance L-series super-telephoto zoom makes it ideal for sports and wildlife photography.
- One fluorite and one super UD lens element provides excellent correction of chromatic aberration throughout the entire zoom range, helping to deliver high-quality images with high resolution and contrast.
- Rotation-type zoom ring allows for more precise composition and excellent balance when handholding.
- Inner focusing, ring USM, a high-speed CPU and optimized AF algorithms for fast and accurate autofocusing.
- Optical Image Stabilizer provides up to four shutter speed steps of correction*.
- Three image stabilization modes (standard, panning, and during exposure only) provide outstanding results for a wide range of shooting situations.
- Improved zoom torque adjustment ring allows easy setting of zoom tension.
- New Air Sphere Coating (ASC) helps to significantly reduce backlit flaring and ghosting.
- Highly resistant to dust and water, and amazing durability enabling shooting even in harsh conditions.
- Circular aperture (9 blades) helps deliver beautiful, soft backgrounds.
- Fluorine coating on front and rear lens surfaces helps reduce smears and fingerprints.
- Lens hood with side window permits specialty filters to be adjusted with hood in place.
- Newly designed tripod mount can be attached or detached without removing the lens from the camera.
- Minimum focusing distance of 3.2 ft. / 0.98 m with 0.31x maximum magnification.
New Super-Telephoto Zoom Lens Delivers an Enhanced IS System Providing Four Shutter Speed Steps of Correction, a Rotation-Type Zoom Ring, and New Optical Element Formula to Help Maximize Image Quality. The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II USM lens, a second generation compact super-telephoto zoom lens featuring significant advancements in optical quality, image stabilization performance up-to-four steps, and rotating-zoom-ring design. This new L-series super- telephoto zoom lens features Canon L-series weather resistance and rugged magnesium housing to meet the needs of wildlife and sports photographers or photojournalists working out in the elements. Fully compatible with all EOS cameras, the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II USM features a completely redesigned optical formula containing one Fluorite and one Super UD lens element ─ a combination unique to lenses in this focal range ─ to help deliver sharp images with high resolution and contrast. This combination of elements helps thoroughly suppress chromatic aberration throughout the entire zoom range.
For photographers who want to work as closely as possible to their subjects, the minimum focusing distance of the lens has been reduced to just 3.2 ft. (0.98m), resulting in maximum magnification of 0.31x. The original EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM was well known for its push-pull zoom adjustment, but the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II USM uses a rotation-type zoom ring similar to the one found on the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM lens that allows for more precise adjustments, easier handling, and consistently excellent weight balance during handheld photography. In addition, the lens features an improved zoom torque adjustment ring that allows for the easy setting of zoom tension based on personal shooting preferences. The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II USM also features an inner focusing system, a powerful yet quiet Ring USM, a high-speed CPU and optimized auto focus (AF) algorithms for fast and accurate autofocusing in various shooting situations.
The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II USM features three Image Stabilization (IS) modes ─ standard, panning, and during exposure only. Each IS mode is individually engineered to help provide outstanding results in a wide variety of shooting situations, and all serve to satisfy the personal preferences of photographers based on the type of IS they desire. The optical IS provides up to four shutter speed steps of correction, increased from 1.5 steps in the previous model*. In addition, the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II USM features Canon’s newly developed Air Sphere Coating (ASC) which helps to reduce backlit flaring and ghosting significantly, as well as a 9-bladed circular aperture Electro-Magnetic Diaphragm that helps to enhance beautiful, softly blurred backgrounds.
As with all L-series lenses, the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II USM is highly resistant to dust and water, with excellent durability in even harsh conditions, ideal for wildlife photographers even in rainforest environments, or sports photographers on the sideline grabbing action shots of the big game. Fluorine coating on the front and rear surfaces of the lens can repel dust particles and water droplets. It also makes smears and fingerprints easy to remove without the use of lens cleaning fluid. Included with the lens is the new ET-83D lens hood, that features a cleverly placed and convenient side window allowing the user to easily adjust specialty filters while the lens hood remains in place. In addition, the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II USM is equipped with a newly designed detachable tripod mount which can be removed to reduce weight during handheld operation. Now available at Amazon | Adorama | B&H.
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II USM Specifications
|35mm film equivalent focal length (mm)||–|
|Angle of view (horzntl, vertl, diagnl)||20° – 5°10′, 14° – 3°30′, 24° – 6°10′|
|Lens construction (elements/groups)||21/16|
|No. of diaphragm blades||9|
|Closest focussing distance (m)||0.98|
|Maximum magnification (x)||0.31(at 400mm)|
|AF actuator||Ring USM|
|Filter diameter (mm)||77|
|Max. diameter x length (mm)||94×193|
|Weight (g)||1640 with tripod mount|
|Rear cap||Lens Dust Cap E|
|Magnification w/ Extension Tube EF12 II||0.38-0.03|
|Magnification w/ Extension Tube EF25 II||0.46-0.07|
|SPECIFICATIONS WITH EF 1.4X II|
|Maximum Aperture||6.3-45 (8-57 at 400mm)|
|Maximum Magnification||0.44 at 400mm|
|SPECIFICATIONS WITH EF 2X II|
|Maximum Aperture||9-64 (11-81 at 400mm )|
|AF Possible||Not Possible|