- Model name: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
- Release Date: May 13, 2014
- Focus Type: Autofocus / Manual
- Format : APS-C / Crop Sensor
- Mounts: Canon
- Color: Black
- Availability: June 2014
- Price: $299.99
- Purchase options: Amazon | Adorama | B&H
Canon has unveiled the EF-S 10-18mm F4.5-5.6 IS STM wide angle zoom for APS-C SLRs. It gives photographers a huge 16-29mm equivalent range. The EF-S 10-18mm F4.5-5.6 IS is equipped with stepping motor for better video performance. It is smaller, lighter and cheaper (Amazon | Adorama | B&H) than the existing 10-22mm lens.
- Wide-angle zoom lens specifically designed for APS-C-sized sensors provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 16-28.8mm.
- Four-group optical zoom system helps to realize a compact, lightweight form factor.
- One UD element, one aspherical element, and one large-diameter element have been incorporated into the optical design to minimize aberrations and distortion throughout the zoom range.
- Enhanced lens coatings have been applied to lens surfaces to reduce flare and ghosting for maintained image contrast and color fidelity.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to four stops for improved usability in difficult lighting conditions.
- An STM stepping AF motor realizes smooth, near-silent autofocus that is complemented by a rear focus system, advanced AF algorithms, and a high-speed CPU for fast AF performance.
- Full-time manual focus permits critical focusing precision, even in AF mode.
- A seven-blade circular diaphragm helps to produces an aesthetic out-of-focus quality.
- Created to be a great companion lens for the Canon EOS 70D, EOS Rebel T5i, EOS Rebel SL1 and other EOS Digital SLR cameras with APS-C size image sensors, the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM lens expands Canon’s line of Stepping Motor (STM) lenses. For entry-level users, this affordable wide-angle lens offers the ability to shoot creative, high-quality images and video in tight indoor locations such as a cozy corner table in a restaurant or unique vacation photos where the subject is close up, yet the surrounding area can still fill the frame.
The EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM ultra wide-angle zoom lens features a compact and lightweight design with an Optical Image Stabilizer for shake correction up to four shutter speed stepsiii, enabling handheld shooting in low light. The lens’ stepping motor and newly designed focus mechanism are ideal for Canon EOS Movie Servo AF (available on EOS 70D, EOS Rebel T5i and EOS Rebel SL1 cameras) to provide smooth, quiet and continuous autofocusing during video shooting, as well as when taking photos.
The EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM ultra-wide zoom lens features one UD lens element to help reduce chromatic aberration throughout the zoom range for excellent image quality with high resolution and contrast. It also features enhanced multi-layer lens coatings to help ensure superb color balance while minimizing ghosting and flare, while a seven-blade circular aperture creates beautiful, soft backgrounds.
Compared to the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM wide-angle lens, the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM ultra wide-angle zoom lens is nearly 20% smaller and 38% lighter. When combined with a compact digital SLR, such as the Canon EOS Rebel SL1 camera, the smaller size makes it very convenient to carry with the camera when traveling. The compact four-group zoom optical system provides a maximum magnification of 0.15x at the telephoto end. The wide-angle zoom range of the new EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM is a perfect complement to the currently available EF-S 18-55mm IS and EF-S 55-250mm IS STM zoom lenses.
|35mm film equivalent focal length (mm)||16-29|
|Angle of view (horzntl, vertl, diagnl)||97°10′ – 64°30′
74°10′ – 45°30′
107°30′ – 74°20′
|Lens construction (elements/groups)||14/11|
|No. of diaphragm blades||7|
|Closest focussing distance (m)||0.22|
|Maximum magnification (x)||0.15x (at18mm)|
|Filter diameter (mm)||67|
|Max. diameter x length (mm)||74.6 x 72.0|
|Lens cap||E-67 II|
|Rear cap||Lens Dust Cap E|
|Magnification w/ Extension Tube EF12 II||Compatible
(except at the widest setting)
|Magnification w/ Extension Tube EF25 II||Not Compatible|
|Extender Compatiblity||Not Compatible|