- Model Name: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- Release Date: August 25, 2916
- Focus Type: Autofocus / Manual
- Format : Full Frame
- Mounts: Canon EF
- Color: Black
- Availability: September 2016
- Price: $3499
- Purchase options:
- New 30.4 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting in nearly any light, with ISO range 100–32,000; expandable up to 50–102,400.
- 4K Motion JPEG video (DCI cinema-type 4096 x 2160) at 30p or 24p; in-camera still frame grab* of 4K 8.8-Megapixel images; multiple video options include Full HD up to 60p, and HD up to 120p.
- Superb Dual Pixel CMOS AF for responsive and smooth AF during video or Live View shooting; LCD monitor has full touch-screen interface, including selection of AF area.
- Excellent performance — up to 7.0 fps continuous shooting speed with high performance DIGIC 6+ Image Processor for improved speed and excellent image quality.
- 61 AF points with expanded vertical coverage with 41 cross-points, and AF possible at all 61 AF points with many lens + extender combinations effective at f/8.
- 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor helps provide precise exposure metering, helps detect flickering lights and allows for enhanced scene recognition and face detection capabilities.
- Dual Pixel RAW, in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer during JPEG shooting and Diffraction Correction technologies.
- Built-in Wi-Fi®1 and NFC2 connectivity provide easy sharing to compatible smart devices, select social media sites and the Canon Connect Station CS100 device.
- Built-in GPS3 provides geotag information including auto time syncing with Universal Time Code (UTC) via satellites.
The Next Generation of EOS 5D Cameras
In addition to the new Full Frame sensor, the new EOS 5D Mark IV includes a 61-point High-Density Reticular AF II system, similar to the one found in the flagship EOS-1D X Mark II, with all AF points selectable by the user (and up to 41 cross-type points depending on the lens in use). The AF system, improved over previous Canon 5D series models, includes expanded coverage across the frame that supports AF at maximum apertures up to f/8 with all 61 points for high-precision autofocus even when using EF super-telephoto lenses with an EF extender. Standard ISO range for the EOS 5D Mark IV is ISO 100-32,000 and is expandable to 50-102,400.
The EOS 5D Mark IV also introduces a new 150,000 pixel RGB+IR metering sensor with enhanced precision and performance compared to its predecessor, improving upon facial recognition and tracking as well as nature and sports scenes with fast-moving action. AF sensitivity in low light is EV-3 and EV-4 when in Live View mode. The EOS Scene Detection System can detect and compensate for flickering light sources that are often used in gymnasiums and swimming pools. When enabled, this anti-flicker system automatically adjusts shutter release timing to help reduce disparities in exposure and color especially during continuous burst shooting.
Following the groundbreaking video recording capabilities introduced in the EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III, the EOS 5D Mark IV takes the next leap forward offering DCI 4K video recording. Adding to the versatility of capturing 4K video, is Canon’s Dual Pixel CMOS AF. This proven autofocus system allows for continuous focus tracking of subjects, and can be customized by the user for optimal performance. Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology not only enhances 4K video recording, but also helps create crisp focus for 4K Frame Grab extraction of 8.8 megapixel still JPEG images, all done in camera.
For the first time in an EOS 5D series DSLR camera, the EOS 5D Mark IV features built-in Wi-Fi®1 and Near-Field Communication (NFC)™1 providing for the easy transfer of images and MP4 movies to compatible mobile devices, as well remote shooting when using the Canon Camera Connect App2. The EOS 5D Mark IV also includes a built-in GPS3 receiver with compass for precise geo-tagged information of latitude, longitude, and elevation. This is especially valuable to wildlife photographers and photojournalists who need to track their locations, as well as providing sports and wedding photographers the ability to sync a multiple-camera setup with extreme accuracy and precision. The camera’s built-in GPS can also be used to sync the camera’s time to the atomic clock, an invaluable feature when multiple photographers are covering the same event.
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV sample images and videos – Canon Japan
Time lapse Movie
- Video Features in the EOS 5D Mark IV – Canon Digital Learning Center
- What’s New: EOS 5D Mark IV Dual Pixel RAW Images – Canon Digital Learning Center
- Canon USA has a dedicated page for the EOS 5D Mark IV
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV First Impressions Review – DPReview
- Hands-on preview: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV has 4K internal recording with a 1.74x crop – News Shooter
- Hands on: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV review – TechRadar
- Views of the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV from Andy Rouse – Park Cameras
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Body – B&H | Adorama | Amazon
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV with 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens – B&H | Adorama | Amazon
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV with 24-70 f/4L IS USM Lens – B&H | Adorama | Amazon
- Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM Lens – B&H | Adorama | Amazon
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens – B&H | Adorama | Amazon
- Canon Battery Grip BG-E20 – B&H | Adorama | Amazon
- Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 – B&H | Adorama