Pricing: $499.95 (Velvet 56) & $599.95 ( Velvet SE)
Available mount: Canon, Nikon, Sony A and Pentax
Availability: From April 13 at B&H
- Portrait-length 56mm focal length is compatible with full-frame format sensors as well as APS-C format sensors, where it will provide an 89.6mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.6 maximum aperture offers extensive control over selective focus and shallow depth of field, and also benefits working in difficult lighting conditions.
- The unique singlet-doublet-singlet lens design renders imagery with a soft, smooth, and glowing image quality reminiscent of mid-20th century portrait lenses.
- Softness can be controlled by stopping-down the lens: when stopped-down to f/16, the image exhibits a smooth quality with greater central sharpness.
- A 1:2 maximum magnification ratio and 5″ minimum working distance enable working with close-up subjects.
- Silver edition lens features a clear anodized coating, silver-colored metal barrel, and engraved aperture and focus markings.
- Manual focus design with a smooth, dampened focusing movement is complemented by engraved focus distance indicators.
- Manual exposure control requires stop-down metering and manual setting of the aperture.
Comparable 35mm Equivalent on APS-C Format Focal Length: 89.6mm
|Mount Type||Canon, Nikon, Sony A and Pentax|
|Format Compatibility||Full-frame or APS-C|
|Minimum Focus Distance||5″ / 12.7 cm (working distance, from front of lens)|
|Elements/Groups||4 elements in 3 groups|
|Filter Thread||62 mm|
|Dimensions (Ø x L)||3.4 x 2.8″ / 86 x 72 mm|
|Weight||14.1 oz / 400 g|
Lensbaby Velvet 56 is a 56mm f/1.6 SLR and mirrorless camera lens with 1:2 macro capabilities. This “new classic” portrait lens delivers a velvety, glowing, ethereal look at brighter apertures, and beautifully sharp but subtly unique images as you stop down — with gorgeous, velvety tones that give digital images a film-like, organic quality. Incredibly versatile, Velvet 56 enables photographers to move seamlessly from shooting an environmental portrait, to capturing details in a subject’s clothing or jewelry. Nature and macro photographers will find its close-focus capabilities, combined with effects varying from impressionistic to just a touch of velvety smoothness, provide a set of visual tools that will expand their vision of the world.
Evoking the image style and construction quality of classic portrait lenses of the mid-20th century, Velvet 56 features the heft and smooth, dampened manual focus of these early lenses. Velvet 56, with an all metal body, will be available in two colors: traditional black, plus, Velvet SE, a special silver edition. Velvet SE will feature a beautiful clear-anodized finish, along with engraved aperture and focus markings.
Velvet 56 Sample Image (here)