- Model name: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Lens
- Release Date: October 17, 2013
- Focus Type: Autofocus / Manual
- Format : Full Frame
- Mounts: Nikon
- Color: Black
- Availability: October 2013
- Price: $1699.95
- Purchase options: Amazon | B&H
AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Key Features
- A fast normal lens with a focal length of 58mm and maximum aperture of f/1.4 that utilizes advanced optical design technologies
- Minimization of sagittal coma flare for high reproduction capability of point light sources as sharp points across the entire frame
- Sharp, high-resolution images can be reproduced even at the maximum aperture
- Original lens characteristics that provide natural depth reproduction with which the degree of bokeh moderately changes as the distance from the sharply focused point increases
- Controlled light falloff retains natural brightness across the entire frame even at the maximum aperture of f/1.4
- Nano Crystal Coat effectively reduces flare and ghost
Nikon has just announced the AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G, a fast prime for full frame SLRs. This is specifically designed to produce outstanding bokeh. On Nikon’s DX format SLRs it will create a classic 85mm ‘portrait’ lens angle. It comes with a huge price tag though. It’ll be available in selected retailers at the end of this month for $1699.95 / £1599.99.
MELVILLE, N.Y. (October 17, 2013) – Today, Nikon Inc. introduced the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G, a professional grade prime lens offering a versatile 58mm perspective and excellent low-light shooting capabilities for FX and DX-format shooters. Designed to excel at night and in extreme low-light situations, this new NIKKOR lens sports a diverse feature set and optical design that make it a dependable and versatile option for daytime portraits, nighttime cityscapes or sharp HD video with a dramatic depth of field. Paying homage to the acclaimed original Noct NIKKOR 58mm f/1.2 lens, the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G lens is capable of capturing stunning photos and videos while achieving beautiful bokeh effects.
“With the development of every NIKKOR lens, Nikon aims to provide photographers with the powerful and versatile lensing options needed to capture stunning images and HD video in a variety of difficult shooting scenarios,” said Masahiro Horie, Director of Marketing and Planning, Nikon Inc. “Combining Nikon’s storied NIKKOR legacy with renowned optical technologies, the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G lens presents the premier prime lensing option for FX and DX-format shooters who expect the best in low-light performance.”
Optimized for elite performance in even the most challenging low-light scenarios, the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G sports a unique 58mm (87mm DX-format equivalent) fixed focal length, making it ideal for shooting both flattering portraits, landscapes and street photography. Both FX-format and DX-format shooters will appreciate a wide and fast f/1.4 aperture that helps to ensure professional-grade photos and edge-to-edge sharpness, combined with overwhelming rendering performance. Even while focusing at infinity, the lens’ high resolving power has the ability to process distant subjects with amazing clarity. Whether shooting dynamic nighttime cityscapes or astrophotography, top-class low-light performance is ensured with minimal sagittal coma, while light falloff is controlled to retain brightness and reduce vignetting, even while wide open.
The AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G lens is also powered by core NIKKOR technologies designed to provide the user with the ultimate in clarity and control, and the capability to capture beautiful photos and HD video even in extreme low-light. The lens sports a rounded nine-blade diaphragm, providing both FX and DX-format shooters with a circular bokeh, allowing for dramatic sense of natural depth in landscapes and beautiful image blur. Additionally, the lens features a Nano Crystal Coat to prevent ghost and flare, as well as a Silent Wave Motor (SWM) to help ensure quiet AF operation, even when shooting HD video. For users who want the utmost control of every frame, two focus modes are available, including M/A (AF with manual override) and M (manual).
Price and Availability
Sample Images by Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Lens on Flickr