- Model Name: Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 25mm f1.2 PRO
- Release Date: September 19, 2016
- Focus Type: Autofocus / Manual
- Mounts: Olympus
- Color: Black
- Availability: October 2016
- Price: $1199
The fixed-focal length M.ZUIKO Digital ED 25mm f1.2 PRO minimizes chromatic aberration at the plane of focus and beyond, creating a stunningly smooth transition from the subject to defocused backgrounds. This design provides the perfect balance between high resolution and beautiful bokeh for a natural, three-dimensional appearance of the subject.
The M.ZUIKO Digital ED 25mm f1.2 PRO features a lightweight internal focusing mechanism that uses a single thin lens element for extremely fast and accurate focus point acquisition. The advanced MSC (Movie and Still Compatible) autofocus mechanism provides silent and smooth focusing and aperture performance, ideal for video capture. When combined with the powerful in-body 5-Axis Sync Image Stabilization of the Olympus OM-D and PEN cameras, the M.ZUIKO Digital ED 25mm f1.2 PRO provides outstanding resolution and blur-free images under almost all lighting conditions.
The M.ZUIKO Digital ED 25mm f1.2 PRO features dustproof, splashproof and freezeproof (down to 14°F/-10°C) construction, making it the go-to lens for professionals and photo enthusiasts looking to capture brilliant images in all types of shooting conditions.
Excellent resolution performance from the widest f1.2 aperture
To ensure high-resolution performance from the center to the edges of the image, even at the widest aperture of f1.2, 19 lenses have been used in an effective layout to suppress all types of aberrations. Color bleeding (on-axis chromatic aberration) is suppressed by using a Super ED lens and two ED lenses. When combined with the color-canceling effects of an E-HR (special high refractive index) lens and HR (high refractive index) lens, peripheral color bleeding (magnification chromatic aberration) is effectively corrected.
Z Coating Nano lens coating technology maintains sharp, clear image quality. This advanced coating significantly reduces flare in backlit situations, optimizing shooting when strong light sources are present in the frame.
Beautiful defocusing effects
The lens design effectively eliminates chromatic aberration in focused areas as well as defocused areas to achieve a smooth transition from the subject to the background. When paired with the lens’s shallow depth of field and beautiful circular bokeh at the maximum aperture, images have a natural, three-dimensional appearance.
Fast and accurate focus point capture
The advanced optical design provides a single focusing lens element for fast and accurate focus point capture. The MSC mechanism enables high-speed, high-precision still image autofocusing and silent, smooth autofocusing for video. Even in shooting situations with a shallow depth of field, quick, accurate focusing allows for beautiful defocusing effects by accurately focusing on faces and eyes when users select Face Detect AF or Eye Detect AF on Olympus OM-D and PEN camera bodies. When combined with compatible OM-D and PEN cameras’ Silent Mode, users are able to photograph musical performances and piano recitals without making a sound.
Limits comatic aberration to depict points clearly and accurately
This lens is capable of depicting points of light accurately, a necessary feature when photographing stars with the f1.2 aperture setting. Aspherical and high-resolution lenses placed near the aperture effectively correct for comatic aberration. These elements enable both the brightness of f1.2 and a high level of optical performance, making it possible to capture points of light without distortion.
- This lens features dustproof and splashproof construction, with hermetic sealing in 11 locations. When combined with the dustproof, splashproof, freezeproof body of the Olympus OM-D series, users can take advantage of all types of shooting environments.
- This lens boasts the same high-quality metal exterior design as the other lenses in the M.ZUIKO PRO series. It is equipped with the Manual Focus Clutch mechanism, which makes switching to manual focus possible by pulling the focusing ring toward you. A depth of field scale is included on the lens for pan focusing. And the L-Fn button on the lens barrel allows you to pause autofocus and assign other custom settings.
- Close-up performance is supported by a minimum focusing distance of 30 cm (working distance of 19.5 cm) and a maximum shooting magnification of 0.11x (35mm equivalent: 0.22x).