- Model Name: Sony Planar T* FE 50mm F1.4 ZA (model SEL50F14Z)
- Release Date:July 11, 2016
- Focus Type: Autofocus / Manual
- Format : Full Frame / APS-C / Crop Sensor
- Mounts: Sony E
- Color: Black
- Availability: July 2016
- Price: $1,500
- Purchase options: B&H
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/16
- One AA Element & One Aspherical Element
- One Extra-Low Dispersion Element
- Zeiss T* Anti-Reflective Coating
- Ring Drive Super Sonic Wave Motor System
- Physical Aperture Ring; De-Click Switch
- AF/MF Switch; Internal Focus
- Dust- & Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Eleven-Blade Circular Diaphragm
This 50mm prime lens features a large F1.4 maximum aperture that offers impressive contrast and outstanding resolution that are hallmarks of the ZEISS® brand. It produces these consistently strong qualities throughout the entirety of the frame – from center to corner – and at all aperture settings, even while shooting wide open at F1.4. The cutting edge optical structure includes high-precision AA (Advanced Aspherical) and ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements that reduce spherical and chromatic aberration, as well as a ZEISS® T* Coating that minimizes flare and ghosting creating the classic ZEISS® clarity. Additionally, its Planar design ensures minimal distortion.
The large F1.4 maximum aperture of the FE 50mm F1.4ZA lens provides a level of brightness and speed that are advantageous for dimly lit indoor shots, night scenes, and portraits, while its 11-bladed circular aperture allows for stunning “bokeh”, or background defocus, in images. The lens also features an aperture ring with an adjustable ON/OFF switch, an AF/MF focus mode switch, and a dust and moisture resistant design¹, further increasing its functionality.
The new lens is also equipped with a ring drive SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor) system, which allows it to efficiently lock focus with speed, precision and in near silence, making it particularly useful for shooting movies.