- Model name: Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD
- Release Date: September 13, 2012
- Focus Type: Autofocus / Manual
- Format : Full Frame / APS-C / Crop Sensor
- Mounts: Canon | Nikon | Sony
- Color: Black
- Availability: End of 2012
- Purchase options: Amazon | Adorama | B&H
- Tamron has updated their legendary 90mm Macro lens with a new, state-of-the-art optical design. The lens, reborn for the age of digital photography, offers VC (Vibration Compensation)*1 and USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive)*2.
- Adopting a state-of-the-art optical design and a rounded diaphragm*4, this lens carries on the long tradition of Tamron’s 90mm Macro lens in delivering spectacular blur effects. Two XLD*5 (Extra Low Dispersion) glasses and one LD (Low Dispersion) element reduce chromatic aberrations, yielding sharp images and outstanding resolution.
- Tamron’s newly developed eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) Coating*6 delivers a dramatic improvement in antireflection performance-significantly reducing flare and ghosting for clearer, crisper images.
- The VC (Vibration Compensation)*1 image stabilization mechanism reduces camera shake to deliver sharp images.*7
- Features USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive)*2 to power a speedy AF drive together with a continuous manual focus mechanism.
- Incorporates IF (Internal Focus) system, which focuses by moving only the internal lens group, rather than the front lens elements. The overall length of the lens therefore does not change when focusing, thus ensuring a broad working distance.
- Moisture-resistant construction helps prevent moisture from penetrating the lens.
Optically the Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD lens is a reincarnation of the classic 90mm classic lens that Tamron used to make. However a range of improvements make the lens one of the most formidable pieces of equipments that one can hope to use in a macro photography setup. The lens has a minimum focusing distance of 1.8 inches and offers a magnification ratio of 1:1. This makes the Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD a true macro lens.
An important aspect of the lens is the VC (Vibration Compensation) technology. It gives the lens stability against shakes and helps create sharp pictures even when the camera is hand-held. Sony users will however not get VC in their lens as Sony DSLR bodies have built-in vibration reduction motor. Macro lenses require four basic features to be a successful and this lens has al of them. Apart from VC and 1:1 magnification, the lens is fast at f/2.8 which allows the camera to shoot great pictures in low light. Also the lens also has USD (Ultra-sonic silent drive) mechanism for quite and fast auto-focusing.
The overall construction of the lens consists of 14 elements including two XLD (Extra low-dispersion) glass elements and one LD (Low-dispersion) element arranged in 11 groups. The diaphragm of the lens consists of 9 rounded bladed that stops wide at f/2.8 to create a soft blur of the background. The lens is 4.8” in length and weighs 550 grams. It uses a filter of size 58mm. Available at Amazon | Adorama | B&H
Sample Photos by Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD on Flickr
Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC Specifications
|Angle of view (diagonal)||27°02′ (with full-size SLR cameras)
17°37′ (with APS-C sized sensor digital SLR cameras)
|Construction||14 elements in 11 groups|
|Min focus distance||0.3m (11.8 in)|
|Max magnification ratio||1: 1|
|Working distance||139mm (5.5 in)|
|Length||114.5mm (4.5 in)*|
|Entire Length||122.9mm (4.8 in)*|
|Weight||550g (19.4 oz)*|
|No. of diaphragm blades||9 (rounded diaphragm)|
|Available mounts||Canon, Nikon, Sony|